The Land Registration Act specifies that all new leases over sev n years, or existing leases sold or assigned with seven years left must be registered with Land Registry As a part of the registration a compliant Lease Plan (a detailed plan of the property) must be included.
Land Registry requirements
There are a number of key requirements as specified by the Land Registry. These include:
- The plan must be drawn to an appropriate metric scale and should display a north point.
- Dimensions should be in metric units, to two decimal places.
- The plan must show sufficient detail to enable the land in the lease (including any garage, bin store or garden ground) to be identified on an Ordnance Survey map.
- The property must be clearly identified by suitable colouring, edging or hatching.
- Different floor levels must be identified both on the plan and in the verbal description in the lease.
- The plan must be signed by the landlord.
- The copy lease must contain an exact copy of the original plan.
All plans are measured in accordance with the RICS code of measurement.